RE: Dinan laptop

Something to keep in mine.
>Date: Fri, 02 Oct 1998 19:10:14 -0700
>snip--
>Subject: Dinan laptop

>Actually, what they are offering is downloading the upgrade into your
>car by an "Authorized Dealer" You need a "real" computer to do it.

>snip--

>>Subject: DME Software on PalmTop -- Dinan

>>Am I crazy or is Dinan now selling a PalmTop (manufacturer unknown) with
>>DME
>>upgrade software, and necessary hardware (adaptors) for people to do DME
>>upgrades at any time through the engine-bay DME port (switch from stock
>>upgrade and back to stock whenever, where ever)?

In reference to BMW SI Bulletin 12 05 96:
The DME's with EPROMS can only be Flash programmed 13 times.

Hopefully, Jim C. will comment on whether this is a hard limit which
requires a new DME or if the EPROM can be unsoldered and/or some other
component in the DME replaced to add additional DME programming cycles.

Given this as a limitation, the thought of "whenever", "where ever"
re-programming would not seem realistic.

- -----
Rod...
e-mail: m6bigdog@domain.elided