Re: Safety Equipment

Duane mentions:

> >In the advanced and instructor groups, the lap times are indeed very
> >close to what the club racers are doing.  The main difference is where
> >we can pass.
>
> As an interesting aside to all this....myself, Pat Donahue, Mike Gayle and
> Rich Beebe are all turning 1:30 - 1:31's at Summit in Advanced Driver's
> Schools.  3 out of 4 of us have roll bars/cages and competition
> harnesses/fire extinguishers. If you look at the latest Roundel Club Racing
> Report and go to the Summit Point Race that the NJ Chapter had this Summer -
> you'll see those times put us square mid-pack in the Club Race "Best Lap
> Times".
>
> Makes sense to live to fight another day if you run at those speeds, gang.
>
> Duane Collie

Pressure?  What pressure?  I didn't even know he meant me!  Okay, maybe
I had my suspicions.

Another benefit of having all the safety equipment including a rollbar
and proper harnesses is that you don't end up sore from trying to stay
behind the wheel of the car.  I hurt all over from trying to hang in for
a number of 1:30s yesterday at Summit Point (big track!) with those big
slippery leather seats and stock belts.
- --
Pat Donahue  CCA 125031
Vienna, VA