Re: 42 Volt Electrical Systems

On 1 Oct 1998 SMILLER@domain.elided wrote:

> I didn't ask Larry how they came to choose 42 volts, as opposed to some
> multiple of 1.5 volts as we are used to with batteries, but then I'm not an
> electrical engineer.  I expect we'll be seeing more on this in the future.

 I have a guess - our good old 12V systems run at closer to 14V during
normal operation using 6 cells.  14V/6 * 18 = 42V.  That's just
tripling the cell count over standard.
 Perhaps at rest, the battery will read closer to 36V.  This is just a
guess, as I ain't no battery engineer.  But I play one on TV.
 All I can say is, won't it be nice to get shocked while working on
your car?  Make sure you keep those hands dry while you work on that
wiring!

- --
  John Bolhuis    | These are no ordinary monkeys --
 bolhuijo         | these are mean, spiteful, butt-biting
  @domain.elided   | monkeys with an obvious mission: conquest.
                                        -tabloid.net