<E36> Synthetic Tranny fluid from factory?

Hey All,

I was working on and under my car last night, finishing preparations for
Pizzafest II (all done, woohoo!).  I finally got a chance to examine my new
tranny.  The syncro's in my original one one (97 M3) started dying,
specifically 2nd gear.  At under 20k miles at the time, that was no good, so
I got a new one.

Well, examining this one, there's a sticker on the side of it saying that it's
filled with "lifetime fluid", including "BMW Best No: 23 00 1 434 404" on it.
The "lifetime fluid" recommendation I'll certainly think twice about
(think...think... ok, let's change it!), but what about this fluid they put in
there?  Anyone know if they finally did change to a synthetic straight from
the factory?

Thanx in advance,

Andrej Dolenc
'97 ///M3