re: E30 brakes

> From: Kurt Zimmerman <kuzimmer@domain.elided>
> My conclusion and my mechanics conclusion is that Textar pads are
> inappropriate for track use.  I probably melted them. The front pads are
> Performance Friction pads and they performed admirably. My mechanic did point
> out that my calipers are probably 10 years old and I may want to consider
> rebuilding them before next season.

Textar? Did you say Textar?!

I just installed a set of these on the front brakes on my E30.
They stop better on the street than either the
first-stop-dont-work-Metal Masters
or the third-stop-dont-work-Deluxe pads from Repco.

I have tried both of the Repco varieties and am dissatisfied with both.
Finally I decided to buy what the dealer sells for my 87 325i and if
it creates a lot of dust on the wheels so what. So the dealer sold me
Textar pads. I took it out and did several hard stops from 80 MPH and
they did not fade, unlike the Deluxe pads. And they stop very well
when they are cold, unlike the Metal Manglers.

The Textars seemed to be a good pad to try on the track until Kurt comes
along with his story, but then again a sticking caliper would smoke any
pad,
right?

Anybody else have experience with Textar pads?

Matt Graham
87 325i 180K miles

End of bmw-digest V9 #241