E30 Brakes

I went to my first driving school last weekend at Gingerman.  During the first
Sunday session, I lost my brakes going into turn 3.  Fortunately they failed
during and not before braking---the car slowed dramatically before the pedal
went to the floor.  I scrubbed off enough speed that I somehow I managed, with
the accelerator and dumb luck, to negotiate the corner.

It turns out that I completely burned off my left rear pads.  Since all pads
front and rear were 3 months old, my instructor felt that there must be
something wrong with my rear brake calipers.  However, the car handled just
fine.  Interestingly enough the right rear pads had enough compound to keep
the brake lining sensor from going off.  So let this be a lesson to all first
time students---check your pads after every session, don't depend on your
sensors. Apparently uneven brake wear is the norm under track conditions and
different tracks wear the brakes differently.  So the fact that one side was
worn more dramatically than the other was not surprising to my instructor.
What was surprising is that I didn't go through 3 sets of front pads before
replacing my rear pads.

My conclusion and my mechanics conclusion is that Textar pads are
inappropriate for track use.  I probably melted them. The front pads are
Performance Friction pads and they performed admirably. My mechanic did point
out that my calipers are probably 10 years old and I may want to consider
rebuilding them before next season.

So now I have several questions.

1.  Are stock E30 calipers sturdy enough for the occasional driving school?
	(I plan to do about 2-4 per year)
2.  If so, should I try rebuilding these myself or should I purchase rebuilt
calipers?

3.  Since Performance Friction does not make rear pads for my car  (yet?),
what would be a complimentary rear pad?

4.  What brake improvements can I make that will still allow the stock 14" rim?
5.  What improvements are available if I move to a 15" or 16" rim?

Obviously, brake reliability is my biggest concern, but I would like to get
away with spending a few hundred dollars as opposed to a few thousand.

Thanks in advance,

Kurt Zimmerman