Re: M3 chain tensioner

Tim,

Oh boy, another way for an M3 engine to blow up.  I am hearing loud =
rattling sounds from my engine on its return to idle.  Did the sound you =
hear just like the rattling inside the catalytic covnverter or a loose nut =
or someting? =20

Anyone know how to change a timing chain tensioner in an E36 M3 engine?  =
It's pretty easy in an E30 M3, but I don't know about the E36 M3.

Weak valve train, weak tranny mount, collasped hydraulic lifter, possible =
oil starvation...now this.  And I am out of warranty.

- ----
anthony (below 2K RPM now) le

Tim Wrote:

Second, I've got a problem with the Timing Chain Tensioner on my '95 M3, =
and
was wondering if any of you have had the same problem.
How do you know if you have this problem?  With the hood up, blip the
throttle.  As the engine returns to idle, there is a loud rattling/vibratin=
sound coming from the front of the engine bay.  At first it sounded like =
the
fan was hitting something, but if you held your ear close to the block, =
you
could tell that the sound was actually coming from inside the VANOS unit, =
at
the front and top of the block.  Unfortunately, with the hood down, in the
car, the sound was almost impossible to detect. =20