Re: Harnesses & rollbars

Robb Alarcon writes about Schroth belts...

> According to Sroth no roll bar is required (make sure you read that sentence
> again before sending ME any flames - according to SROTH).
>
> The inside shoulder straps, right for driver and left for passenger, have a
> design feature which lengthens the strap under a certain force.  That in turn
> enables a "tuck before your head gets squashed like a bug" maneuver.

This feature is not to allow you to duck during an impact.  This allows
the upper body to move forward and bend over the lap belt so you don't
slip under the lap belt during a front impact.
This is why these belts don't have a sub-strap.

As far as the rollbar part, on the street I wouldn't worry about it much
since your not likely to put the car on it's roof.  Life on track is a
different matter....

Mike
Tarheel chapter