Re:Mobil -AMSOIL - Redline

<< Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 09:49:48 -0700 (PDT)
 From: bolhuijo@domain.elided
 Subject: Re:Oil choices Mobil 1 - AMSOIL - Redline

 On Mon, 28 Sep 1998 ChrisBourk@domain.elided wrote:

 > As important as oil is in our BMW cars why does anyone use other
 > than Mobil 1?
 ..
 > So the question is: what is it that you'll people
 > using Redline and AMSOIL know about oil that Porsche and GM don't?

  Lube religious wars aside, I can think of one BIG reason that Porsche
 and GM use Mobil: they're a major oil corporation.  43,000 employees,
 in 125 different countries, with sales of petroleum products over $3
 billion a year.  If GM is going to recommend a product for their
 automobile, it had better be available wherever that automobile is
 sold.  The relative quality of the various synthetics had nothin' to
 do with it.
  An individual may use Redline because it's sold at his favorite local
 parts place or because of overwhelmingly positive experience with
 their MTL.
  Or one may use Amsoil because it's easy to become a dealer and sell
 yourself the stuff wholesale.  Or you may appreciate the wider range
 of oil types that Amsoil makes.
  Whatever, but if your only argument for a product is that a major
 corporation recommends it, you're not going to win many converts
 whether the product is good or not. >>

John,

Those are some good points.  I want to correct something though - I don't sell
Mobil 1 and don't care who uses it.  I'm not looking for "converts"  I'm
looking for a reason NOT to use it and hoping to find something better.  So
far it's the best bet I can find and for some of the reasons you mention.  I
get it for $4 a quart down at the bottom of the road (within 10 blocks) I have
a little more faith in the technical resourses of Mobil Corp than I do in
AMSOIL or Redline.  I think if you're an AMSOIL dealer that's a pretty good
reason to use it - same for Redline.  I was just kinda hoping that SOMEONE
would point me to real hard numbers that show reduced wear when using AMSOIL
or Redline.  And I guess I just don't believe Porsche would use an inferior
oil because they're getting sponsored by them - Just my experience with
Porsche IMHO

Christopher