<e28> Canadian version buying advice

Okay here it goes. After doing a little searching for a new car for the
girlfriend. Came across an 84 528e auto trans. Car is in okay shape. There are
a few things that bother me. The interior is a strange color scheme. It has
what seems to be read leather but he the trim is a gray color. The car is a
Canadian version. (no cat. and Speedo is in km/h.).  At first I thought the
car would just you know pass me by. But now I am thinking about it more and
more.
	There are a few questions I have about it. The transmission doesn't have the
switch fro sport economy or manual. Is this the transmission to watch out for?
I'm also curious about the instrument cluster. Can it just be changed with an
American version? Also the It has two light switches. What do they control?
Well, any info on bringing a Canadian version car up to US specs would be
appreciated.

Jason, Albuquerque NM
86 528e
86 535i