Re: WOB oil changes

<<
 Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 14:50:22 -0400
 From: "Mudry, Robert (CAP, AMR)" <rob.mudry@domain.elided>
 Subject: Re: how much to change the oil

 Christopher snaps at Jim Ochi...

 Jim,I appreciate your desire to invote lurkers to respond but please only
 postgood information.To my knowlege there is really no debate as to how
 often to change oil - it'ssimple, the more you change the oil, the less wear
 from abrasives andcontaminants. This is not a subjective/opinion/x/y axis
 answer, the more youchange the oil the longer the engine will last - PERIOD.
 This is with allother condions equal. There are no conditions where changing
 the oil lessfrequently will allow an engine to last longer.I think the
 debate circles around the economics of changing oil. There willnever be a
 resolution to this because each individel's fact pattern isdifferent. The
 person who leases may only find it meaningful to change theoil enough to
 maintain his lease obligation, but the person who has anemotional bond to
 his new M3 may want it changed when it starts looking lessthan clean.I want
 all the fluids in my car to look new, I don't really care if it has aneffect
 on how long the piece lasts or not, I simply enjoy looking into thecoolant
 tank or power steering reservoir and seeing spanking clean
 syntheticfluid.Talk about tribology if you want, I change the oil because it
 makes me feelgood.
 Christopher

 << 5. Some people follow the Service indicator lights for oil changes
 (usually this means that they have an oil change every 7500-9000 miles).
 Others change every 3000-3500 and ignore the lights. Big debate about what's
 better, no definitive answer. Jim Ochi jochi@domain.elided >>

 Christpher,

 So you think it's that simple, eh?  I would have to disagree with you on
 that one.  Your response started out pretty good.  You've made several
 claims on how the frequency of the oil change is the only contributing
 factor to engine wear.  I was getting really into your post, hoping to read
 some real good facts behind this, or perhaps even examples >>

Rob,

The more I live the more I doubt peoples ability at reading comprehention and
to think logically.  Please set forth the "several; claims" you speak about.

Your "example" of a car that went xxx miles with few oil changes is
meaningless.

What I posted is: the more you change (the cleaner) the oil ALL THINGS BEING
EQUAL the longer a machine will last.

This isn't rocket science and I maintain there is NO difference of opinion
about this umong engineers.  Yea,  I do think it's that simple.

Christopher