Re: guibo: what is it

><< Would someone please explain what a Guibo is. I believe it is in
relation
>to the transmission.
>A guibo is a a rubber disc that fits in between the tail end of the
>transmission and the front end of the driveshaft.  It is approximately 6"
in
>diameter and 1.5 " in depth and its function is to buffer sudden torsional
>forces at the juncture described above.  It's a "sacrificial" part that
has to
>be changed several times throughout a BMW's life.
>
>be cool,
>
>Julian Osante

  While on the subject of guibos maybe someone could let us know how we
should know when to change them? what are the signs that they should be
changed?
  I had one fail in a Fiat Spyder and it was *NOT* a fun/pretty sight.  One
little peice of rubber and metal fail and there goes your brakes, gas
lines, emergency brakes, sanity, etc, etc...
Thanks,
Keith Turner
88 325iC
77 320i