E30 steering rack failure ?s

While on this subject, can anyone tell me what happens to the steering rack after months if not years of leaking fluid collecting in the dust boots? My '89 has some fluid in the driver's side cover but steering seems fine and the level in the power steering reservoir seems to hold pretty well. So when do I absolutely, positively, without a doubt have to do something here? BTW, I have 2 other friends with E30s that have the exact same symptoms. Do they all begin to leak at around 100K?

thankx

Evan