E28 Temp guage and coolant light

Hi, Dave.

The coolant level sensor dies on these beasties.  You can
disassemble and repair most of them, but my personal recommendation
is to not futz with it, just buy another from BavAuto or Steve D'G.

The temp guage is more problematic.  Lots of possibilities:

- - check wire to sensor itself; the white topped single wire one
  on the thermostat manifold.
- - check the big bundle of brown ground wires to a stud directly in
  back of the instrument cluster.  It is most easily (ha!) accessed
  by pulling the instrument cluster (easy, write if you want details).
- - Gee, while your cluster is out, pop it apart and cycle the connectors.

Good luck!  Larry F.

>Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 21:28:01 -0700
>From: dg <davehg"nospam"@domain.elided>
>Subject: E28 Temp guage and coolant light
>
>My 86 535i's temp gauge is quite intermittent. It seems to work
>consistently ONLY when I run the A/C. Any thoughts on how to get it working
>again?
>
>Also, the coolant light comes on as well intermittently. I've checked the
>coolant level; all's well. What's causing the light to come on? WOuld
>bleeding the coolant help?
>
>- -Dave Green

Larry Franks
Issaquah, Washington
'86 535i - Shark-infested (Authentic chip!)
'86 535i - Sharked (recently)
'83 245 GLT (Swedish iron)