WOB?

At the risk of being the last person in the world that has *NO* idea
what the WOB TLA stands for, who would like to edify me???  Also, YMMV?

While I am asking stupid questions that most of you who have been on the
list longer than I have (about a week) are no doubt sick and tired of
seeing, and the *real* reason for this post, can anyone point me to some
info. on why the European M3 and the US version, which both have 3.2l
engines, have such a huge disparity in the HP they produce i.e 321 v 240
I know it has something to do with the Californian emission requirements
and that BMW NA do not wish to carry multiple versions of an already
low-volume model, but what is the technical reason?
Is there some kind of EPROM that one can replace, or is there some
drastic difference in the actual composition of the engine which
coincidentally has the same displacement?!?!  I have had a quick look at
the FAQ, but obviously wasn't looking in the correct place!

One other question ... one of my tyres (not sure if this is the US
spelling or not - same things as tires) had a deformity that required my
replacing it within 1000 miles of taking delivery of my vehicle as I was
getting bad vibrations (apologies to the Beach Boys) - a visual
inspection after a couple of weeks revealed a large bulge on the inside
of said tyre ... the dealer didn't want to know, said talk to a tyre
shop direct, and they said it was due to a nail - I always thought that
nails made the tyre go flat, not what I experienced ... I had hoped that
it was a manufacturing defect, but ended up having to shell out the big
bucks for another Pilot SSX (or whatever they're called).  To cut to
the chase, has anyone any thoughts or comments to make on this ...

TIA, Dave
'97 M3/4 Arctic Silver

End of bmw-digest V9 #226