Re: Secret Lurker Question (toggle switch in glove box)

Thomas wrote:

> Ok, here's a lurker question.   I traded my 91 318 for a 93 325ic (as I'm
> so fond of repeating...<g>).    I'm waiting on the owners manual to arrive
> and here's something I can't find in Chiltons:
>
> In the glove box, just next to the light, is a toggle switch.   What does it
> control?
>
> Another question I have and feel silly asking:    How do you manually raise and lower
> the top?

No idea about the switch.  It may have something to do with an
aftermarket alarm system.

Raising and lowering the power top manually on your E30 ragtop can be
done fairly easily but can cause problems and is hard to resynch once
done -- it's only for emergencies.

The instructions should be in your owners manual (though because of the
funky E30 during the E36 years status of the iCs may not be).  At any
rate, it involves going in the trunk and disengaging the motors (2 of
them - one on center and one on the right extreme) from the top.
There's a large allen key kinda thing you need to unlatch the top cover
by inserting it through the center release lever and twisting (but I
don't remember which way).  You can then raise the cover and drag up the
top.

They don't recommend using the hex key to relatch the cover but I found
on my neighbor's car when it broke that with her pressing down on one
side and me stretching around to put some pressure on the other side I
could get it to latch.  Without that cover latched you _DON'T_ want to
hit the highways with the top down!
- --
Pat Donahue CCA 125031
Vienna, VA