<misc>REPLY-Mystery Toggle Switch

Thomas writes:

Hi,
Ok, here's a lurker question.   I traded my 91 318 for a 93 325ic (as I'm
so fond of repeating...<g>).    I'm waiting on the owners manual to arrive
and here's something I can't find in Chiltons:
In the glove box, just next to the light, is a toggle switch.   What does it
control?

I would wager one of two things:  A ignition kill switch or valet switch for
the alarm, installed by the previous owner.  Flip it and try to start the
car.  Does it still start?  Then it aint a kill switch.  Does the car have a
non-factory alarm?  If so, the valet switch is used to temporarily disable
the alarm for valets or service work.  Traditional valet switches work as
follows: Place the key in the ignition, and turn to the ignition position
(all dash lights lit) then flip the valet switch.  If you have a red led, ot
may stay lit, indicating theat the alarm is now disabled.  More modern
alarms use a seqeuence of back and forth valet switch flips to disable the
alarm. The sequence varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, and maybe from
alarm to alarm within that manufacturers lineup.

Or, it could be a "fake" valet switch (like I have) :-), attached to
nothing, while the real valet switch is securely hidden in an undisclosed
location.  If you do have an alarm, it's probably mounted underneath the
glovebox, on top of that removable panel.  Thats where the factory alarm
plug is, and the last installer probably tapped into that plug.

Ron Browne
1992 318is
Bowie, MD