Starting ignition problem......

hi, i have a 1987 535i bmw with 117,000 miles.  i tried to start
my car yesterday, and it would not start.  the exclamation point
flashed on my dash board, and i heard a clicking noise coming
from the gear panel (it's an auotmatic).the noise came primarily
from the s-e-321 gears.  i put my tried to feel around the
swtich, and then i was able to start the car up, but i still
heard the clicking noise.  does anyone know what might be going
on here?  thanks...

- --jason