<e36> M3 LTW front splitter clones - my personal experience

>Subject: LTW Splitter Clones M3
> I've seen some M3s install an additional splitter or
>perhaps a bigger one on their M3s.  Perhaps on some Dinan prep'd cars
too.
>They are not like the bigger splitter on thge M3 LTW.  The ones I'm
>referring to look like an additional lip extension......Does anyone
know
>where I could find 'em?  A factory part perhaps?  THANKS!
>
>Brandon Ong
>Singapore
- -------------------------
Duanegerous replies:
Brandon,
These are more often than not made by R-D Sports.  I've seen a few of
them
and they look pretty good. <snip>

Here is my $0.02 worth of comment:

I have heard plenty of bad rep. about "Racing Dynamics/Electrodyne vs.
the real deal R-D Sport parts. When it comes to mechanical/electronical
modifications stick with the company that has a sound reputation. (i.e I
would stay away from Racing Dynamic 'wannabies' at Electrodyne. When it
comes to aerodynamic components , whenever possible (and price
affordable) stick with original BMW parts.
If that is not possible, try whatever you like. Make sure that you have
the ability to return the part if you (or your body shop) are not
satisfied with the fit and finish.
According to my friend who is the owner and operator of one of the top 3
body shops in Tampa Bay, with the exception of original BMW parts almost
all aftermarket manufactures of aerodynamic pieces have imperfections -
some more , some less.
He states that this even includes AC Schnitzer, R-D Sport, Zender etc.
He also said that BMW add-ons "usually" fit the best, but there are
times when he has to do a lot of prep work even on those. I gave his
advice a lot of weight since he specializes in BMWs and occasionally
will take on other high end cars.

Taking his advice and not willing to spend close to $1000 on the 3 piece
adjustable LTW splitter I though I would at least try to check out the
one piece Racing Dynamics/Electrodyne splitter. I purchased it through
Wheeltech in Tampa (800-939-4335 - no affiliations - just a happy
customer - I deal with Jeff).
I thought that I have nothing to loose. If Idid not like, the restocking
fee would be worth the risk, since this piece was only about $300.

When the piece arrived, I liked it - my friend in the body shop DID NOT
!!
It had several uneven spots and the fit was not perfect either. I wanted
return it at first.
He told me however, that it can be made perfect, but he was going to
have to spend some serious time refining it. (When he pointed out to me
those spots that I would never find myself, I believed him).
After doing some simple math and his assurance that he can make it 100%,
I decided to keep the piece.
I have to say , that I am *very* happy that I kept it. When he was done
it looked perfect. I like the looks of it and I am sure that it is a
good aerodynamic compliment to the rear ///Motorsport double wing (which
by itself would generate way too much downforce) The position of this
splitter is at what would be about 1/2 to 2/3 'sticking out' position of
the original LTW splitter. I know, the fine adjustability is not there
but I am not Michael Shumacher either.

If you want to check out a detailed picture of this splitter, go here:
http://www.wp.com/MilosBMW
I did a lot of changes to this web site and it includes a bunch of new
pictures.
One of the side links will also show you how "squatted" was my former
325is with the tall wing in the rear and 'no' splitter in the front.
Hope this helps someone considering this upgrade.

Milos

- --
 92 325i           (oo_OO_oo) (oo_OO_oo) (oo_OO_oo)

Phone & Fax: (727) 938 6355 (evenings & weekends EST)
Real Carbon Fiber trim at: http://www.wp.com/MilosBMW

End of bmw-digest V9 #220