<02> Weber Air Cleaner Options

In BMW Digest v09.n199 Mike Miller <michael.c.miller@domain.elided> wrote
regarding his '76 2002:

> What's the best air cleaner/filter for use with a Weber 32/36 carb?
> ... I've also read that the stock cleaner housing/filter unit (round
> paper element) provides better flow and allows cooler air to be sucked
> in via the front-end fresh air hose connection. I also have a modified
> stock cleaner with adapter (JAM?) for the Weber, but it only uses 3 of
> the 4 mounting bolts to the carb because of the crankcase vent hose
> location.  So, it seems slightly insecure.
> ... Are there any other alternatives that have worked well that include
> the crankcase breather hose fitting?

When my son and I did the 32/36 conversion on his '76 2002, we modified
the stock housing according to the Weber instructions.  The modification
is to remove the collar from the bottom of the housing and move the
gasket from the collar to the housing.  It fit fine and used all four
original rubber mounting bushings.  Maybe the Weber adapter is different
from the JAM adpater?

Curt Ingraham
'72 2002tii
Oakland, California