<E34 M5> Waterpump

Mel asked:

> I saw the posting on E36 waterpump failure.Anybody have similar
> experience with E34 M5 waterpump replacement?My M5 has 56k miles-when is
> a good time to replace the waterpump and are there any telltale signs of
> imminent failure?
> Mel
> 1991 E34 M5,Sharked,SS,B&B,etc.etc.etc.

As Pat Donahue and I have experienced, a little over 50K miles seems to be
the life expectancy of an E34 M5 waterpump.  I now have the third, counting
the original, pump in my car at 112K miles.  As for the warning signs; my
first pump gave no warning when the bearing froze solid at about 5K rpm.
The second pump just started to leak.  It was a slow leak but I didn't wait
to see how fast it would grow.

Louis
91 ///M5 original owner