Re:Whacked-out guy kicks BMW

I kind of disagree here.  Sort of a civic duty thing, IMHO.  This nut case needs to be on file somewhere.  Who knows what he had in mind trying to flag down the car.  Maybe robbery or kidnapping?  Assuming David got the license number of the van or some other means of identifying him, he can report this to the cops and perhaps they'll go have a talk with him.  Who knows what they'll connect him to.  And David's identity does not have to be revealed to the guy.  He can decide whether to press charges or not.  But at least this dirt bag will be flagged and as a result either be deterred from doing this again or be more easily caught in the future for something else.  Maybe there's some unsolved cases out there and this guy is the perp?  You never know.

There's a case here in Virginia that's still unsolved, some scumbag picked up two young girls (sisters) from their schoolbus stop and killed them.  Cops have a description of the truck.  I seriously doubt this particular jerk suddenly decided to engage in this type of behavior.  You read some of these FBI profiler books on how these guys minds work, and they sort of work up to it.  After they are caught there's always a long list of people who never bothered to report the relatively minor criminal weirdness that went on prior to the guy moving on to the big stuff.
- -Al

At 08:48 PM 9/25/98 -0400, Duane wrote:

<snip good description of legal process>

>My advice:
>Fix the dent, be thankful he didn't pull out a gun and shoot you or you
>kids, and if it ever happens again acknowledge the guy with a wave / slow
>way down / and simply putter away to live to fight another day. I'd chalk
>it up to a lesson from the school of hard knocks.  Hey - no one got hurt,
>its only sheet metal - and if you piss this guy off AGAIN, he might really
>come after you....its happened before....thinkaboutit!

End of bmw-digest V9 #216