A tire question - reply

First off, sorry about double posting the question. I double clicked by
accident (or spaz) and the send button shows up under the reply button.

It was asked: << From: Michael Tarver
 Subject: A tire Question?  Please help

     Time for new tires on my E36 325is.  Ok, I have Michelin Pilots HXs
 on 16" sport rims.  I am either going to replace these or go with a
 little lower profile tire such as a Pirelli P-Zero.  Anyone have any
 experience with the P-Zero compared to the Pilot.  The Pilot is SUCH an
 amazing tire that I am reluctant to mess with it.  Please e-mail me if
 you guys have any comments.  Thank you, Mike. >>

Miichael: A couple of points to help you better understand what profile and
tire types will do to your decision about tires.
#1 if you walk into a tire store and tell them you are willing to spend $400
more than you need to you will rarely walk away with the $400 in your
possession. Walk in knowing what you want, and knowing the proper terms to
describe it.
#2 Tire profile is not dictated by tire type or brand. It's dictated by the
tire size. I think your stock tires are 205/60 - 16 (or is it 225). Anyway the
/60 is the "profile". it means the sidewall us 60% as tall as the tire is wide
(roughly).
#3 the P-Zero is in a totally different class from the Pilot HX. The HX is a
"high performance" tire. The P-Zero, like Michelin's Pilot MXX3 is an "ULTRA
high performance" tire.  When you hear people say they like the P-zero over
the pilot they are usually referring to the MXX3. This is like "good, better,
best" at Sears.
#4 You like the HX as an amazing tire. It's $100 per cheaper than the P-zero,
and to use a lower profile tire on the same rim you would have to go much
wider than will fit to keep the same overall circumference. Also, less
sidewall is the same as stiffening your springs--the ride will get harsh.

If you need to replace tires and you liked what you had, then just get the
HX's. If you are ready to upgrade your car, then starting with the proper 17"
wheels and tires is a good first step. Based on the way you asked the
question, I recommend the HX's.

Scott Adare
Spokane, Wa
'95 M3 <with 17" wheels and a ride like a brick>