E28 535i Diffs

David Boyd responds to Charles Lee's question regarding E28 535i limited
slip with:

		It's very easy to tell whether you have a limited slip or
not.  Simply jack up the back end and rotate one of the rear wheels with
your hand.  If both wheels spin the same direction you have limited slip.
If they spin opposite directions you have and open diff.
		I thought the e28 535's came with a 3.25 limited slip, but
I'm not sure.
		- --David
The direction of the rotating tires answer is correct.  Another way is to
look at the alpha-numeric code stamped on diff.  I believe that if it ends
in an "S" the diff is limited slip.

Not all 535i E28s came with limited slip, especially not the early years
(85-87).  There has been previous mention made that all 88s were LS, but I
haven't heard the definitive answer on that.

Regards,

Reed
Seattle
1985 535i  (out of the body shop with a new rear end - ready for the Sports
Illustrated swimsuit issue!)
158K