Re: Harness in an E-36 M3

Sean,

I have six point harnesses in my M3 that come in and out very easily.  The
shoulder belts mount to eye bolts in the frame member that crosses at the top
of the trunk (you have to put the seats down to use them).  This is a nice way
to go as it puts less downforce on your spine than the rear seat belt mounts
would in the event of an accident.

The lap belts attach to eye bolts in the floor behind each seat.  These are
sunk far enough in the carpet that with the floormats it's impossible to tell
they are present.  The subs mount to the seat bolts--you just unscrew both
nuts, lean the seat back, put the sub mounts around the bolts, and screw the
nut back on.  I usually leave the subs in, although they would take only a few
minutes to extract.  The other pieces take less than a minute to remove in
total.

Having a sub definitely adds to driver stability, and I definitely recommend
the "cam-lock" type harnesses.

The disadvantages of having harness without a roll-bar have been discusses in
depth on the digest--suffice to say I believe they're quite similar to the
risks involved were one to crash on the street with a roll-bar, without a
helmet.  And who wants to drive around with a helmet on the street?  "Well
officer, the helmet's really just a fashion statement..."

Good Luck,

Tim Leithead
'95 M3, Euro Rotors, 6 point harness