Re: Vandalism

John,

I was faced with a similar situation about a year ago - driving to work when "thock", "what the
f__k was that?".  I turned around and watched these middle-school kids throwing rocks at anything
that passed.  I called Fairfax County's finest (VA) who responded promptly and took my report.  I
was fortuneate enough to have noticed the perpetrator and noted that if he took a bus, he was a
middle-school student due to the time of day, etc.

The damage was a chip in the pass. front window which is minor, but again, it's the principle of
the whole thing.  Figuring on just living with the chip (both in the window and on my shoulder), I
went about my business.  Later that day, I rec'd a call from the officer who located the kid.  Not
wanting $$ for this, just wanting to instill a sense of responsibility for one's actions, I didn't
press charges.

The surprising twist to this story is that the kid called me to appologize for his actions.  That
one almost knocked me down - especially in this day of "don't damage the child's creativity"
thinking.  At least there's one set of parents that are actually concerned about their child's
development.

The window still has a chip but then again, the whole car looks like s__t - it's my daily driver -
sue me.

- --
Matthew Yip
mgyip@domain.elided