<e36> stumbling M3 and removal of armrest, head restraints

Patrick (pveltri@domain.elided) asks:

> 1. I can't stand my armrest in my 98 M3... It's in the way when its down,
> and if its up and I hit the brakes hard enough it flys down and nails me
> in the arm. Do all E36's come with armrests? I'm thinking about taking
> the armest out, but was wondering if theres a replacement trim piece to
> go in its place?

There is. Fitment involves removing all the trim and ashtrays/storage boxes
from around the area of the handbrake lever. You can buy a centre console,
comprising cut-outs for the existing ashtrays/storage boxes that retains
the well that usually contains the coinholders and cupholders. It replaces
the armrest and the associated trim parts, and the armrest support which is
bolted to the car floor (you will see this upon removal of your existing
centre console. It's fairly self-explanatory, doesn't take long and can be
accomplished using basic tools.

> 2. The other thing thats annoying are the rear headrests, I know some of
the
> earlier M3's did not have rear headrests. I can't seem to figure out how
> take them out (or even if its possible). Anyone know how to remove them?

It should be fairly easy (it's certainly possible to *add* head restraints,
anyway). You remove the rear parcel shelf to expose the crossmember to
which the head restraints are attached, unbolt them and either replace the
old parcel shelf - which will have holes in it - or fit a new one without
holes.

I can't help with the cold-start stumbling, I'm afraid. My (non-M) 3er does
this occasionally, although it has never actually stalled, and has always
had an unsatisfatory idle hot or cold (OTOH my bro's 318is idles very
smoothly, so I'm sure it's not an endemic problem). However I understand
M-cars are afflicted by stumbling at low speeds and can only refer you to
the dealer, wishing you the best of luck in your negotiations.

Hope this helps some.

Regards

Andrew T
'95 318is