RE: E-36 battery

Hi Roger,

Coincidentally, I just replaced the battery on my 1994 325is last
friday.  I keep up the fluid levels but live in Arizona, land of
temperature extremes.  I was at a gas station preparing for a trip to
Phoenix (from Tucson) when my car refused to start!  We are talking 13.6
V with the engine running and 8.5 volts when I turned off the engine.
It was that quick, perfect operation then suddenly dead.  This happened
at 5PM on friday and I needed to be in Phoenix the next morning.  The
funny thing is that I was also *thinking* about replacing my battery
because of the age.

I got an Optima battery.  Like you said, it has a lot of potential
benefits.  The battery fits onto a mounting plate which is shorter than
the battery options intended for the car.  ( I forget which group
numbers).  The cables fit OK, but I had to fabricate a mounting bracket
to hold the battery in place.  This was not difficult and cost me about
$0.50 in parts.  The Optima is shorter than stock (a problem) and it is
taller than stock (another problem).  The plastic tray that covers the
battery touches the terminals and does not allow the clip on the tray to
engage for a tight fit.  This is not a terrible thing, merely
frustrating.  I may play with the tray to modify it or I may leave it
alone.  Have any Digesters found a solution for this?

I have had the battery for one week and it works just like it is
supposed to.  The benefit is over the long term with this battery.  I'll
know if this batery was a good choice in about 5 years.

Here's something to ponder:  Can a battery that looks like a six-pack be
all bad?

Steve Cooperman
'94 325is, sport pkg, extra stuff
BMWCCA 151682  Sonora Chapter