<E36>M42 Engine Rattle..poss. solution?

A couple of days ago, a few early E36 318 owners complained about a common
rattling noise amongst our M42 motors.  Noise appears to be emanating from
underhood, most prominent when the engine is warmed up, but no one seemed to
know the problem.

Well, I began to pay closer attention to my rattle.  Mine made itself
evident even with the engine cold, particularly in the morning, when
accelerating uphill in the 2-3500 rpm range.  Not an obtrusive noise, but
evident still the same.  I then noticed it is also very prominent right when
you shut the engine down..as soon as you turn the key, and the engine rpms
drop.  right there.  You can hear it clear as day.

A digester suggested that it _might_ be the clutch release (thorowout?)
bearing.  To narrow it down, the digester suggested depressing the clutch,
then listening for the noise.
Guess what?  I did.  Rattle seems to disappear completely.  After I got home
today, turned the engine on/off about 6 times in a row.  Each time (3) i let
the engine idle, then turn it off with the clutch pedal depressed, the noise
was non-existent.  Each time (3) with the clutch pedal out, the noise was
there.  Not _always_ at idle, but definitely on shutdown.
Before we immediately jump to conclusions, it would be good if other
digesters who have this problem, try the depressed clutch test to get a
better test field.   Interesting thing is that my rattle has been evident
for at least a year, maybe longer.  And, the clutch is as smooth as its ever
been.  No sticking, binding, or slippage.

Ron Browne
1992 318is
Bowie, MD