<E34> steering box failure?

It appears the steering box on my '93 525i is too far gone for
adjustment. At least that's what my mechanic says. Symptoms are: with
one hand on the shaft into the box and one hand on pitman arm there is
noticable play before there is any reaction from the box. You can wiggle
the shaft about 3-4 degrees before any hard resistance is met with the
wheel centered. Adjustment seems to increase the friction, but does not
reduce the play. Does this sound like real steering box failure to you
folks? The other E34 bushing gremlins have already been exorcised.

I'm now considering options and need some help / advice.

1. Are these rebuildable, or is replacement the only option?
2. How much should one of these things really cost? (Mechanic quoted
"about $1100" but admitted he was guessing. I was not amused.)
3. Do all E34's use the same box, or is there a quicker-ratio box
available ?
4. Anybody got a deal on a good used or rebuilt box?

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

Bob Hazelwood
'93 525i 5-sp. Sharked, K&N, H&R + Bilstein
BMW CCA #155184 (Boston)