<E36>Reply-Battery replacement options?

Roger also wrote:

I have a '92 325is. I still have the original battery in the car, and it's
working fine. Does anyone know how long does this battery typically last? Is
it a good idea to replace it at this time?
I have been looking at possible replacements. Here are the choices:
1) Factory battery from dealer: $135. (Rip off)
2) Exide Nascar: $100 (still kind of expensive)
3) Interstate: $100 (expensive, and I don't like this brand. I had one
before
in another car, and it leaked acid)
4) Optima battery: $120 (Expensive but worth the price. I have high regard
for
this product--high cold cranking amps, longetivity, never leaks acid nor
produces fume) The problem is that the terminal locations are the opposit
from
the factory battery. Has anyone put one in this model of BMW? Does it
require
buying longer cables?
Does anyone have any other suggestions?
p.s. Please c/c me with your reply. Thanks.
- - -Roger Peng

I believe your O.E. battery is made by Douglas.  I still have the original
battery in my car, a production date of 06/92. (not positive of the actual
production date of the battery)  I just keep mine topped up with distilled
water.  Tested the voltage the other day with a digital meter, still has
voltage within specs.  In the DC area, a place called Batteries Plus
(Rockville) carries the BMW OE battery.  Price was around $75-$80 if I
recall.  I _think_ a two day order was required.

Ron Browne
1992 318is
Bowie, MD