Re: <E28 M5> low rpm shudder - due to steam clean?

Matthew Yip writes:
I had the same thing happen to me when I first purchased my M5.  The
problem turned out to
be 1) wet electrical connectors and 2) a bad #2 spark plug.

Remove all the underhood electrical connectors, one by one and dry them
either with a towel
or with some commercial electrical contact cleaner/dryer.  Once you've
done that, pull out
all the plug wires and make sure that the plugs and the wire ends are
dry.

M.
*************

Matthew's correct about the electrical wire connectors.  The last time I
washed the engine bay on the 535i the same thing happened with engine
sputtering and such.  I found the problem was water trapped in the
'wiring boot' that goes to the AIR METER BOX.  You have to pull the boot
off to get the water out.  That fixed the problem.  Good luck on yours.

I've heard that steam cleaning is not all it's cracked up to be.  I
causes problem like this and strips the bare metals dry of protective
residues that can help to fight corrosion.  Every time I did it the rust
tried to take over.  Any words from the collective wisdom on this issue?

Curt Kiser
PizzaFest II contestant # 12  -- Sign-up you slackers!!!!
BMW CCA #118507 Tidewater Virginia Chapter
85' 535i - 86' 325