Reply: Santa Clara Mechanic

Jerry, regarding your questions:

>Date: Wed, 23 Sep 98 06:53:57 -0700
>From: "Gerald R. Kolb" <jkolb@domain.elided>
>Subject: Santa Clara Mechanic
>
>I need a referral for a good BMW mechanic in the Santa Clara, CA area.
>A friend's daughter is in school there and has an 88 M3 that will need
>routine maintenance and probably an exhaust system.  Suggestions for
>a replacement exhaust system would also be appreciated.  Don't want
>anything too loud.  Is the stock system the way to go with this vehicle?
>
>Jerry Kolb
>
>2002/M3

I like Ray's Ultimate BMW Repair (Service?) in Santa Clara.  Ray Gauthier
knows what he is doing, and he used to be a BMW CCA corresponding
TIPS rep.  (Don't ask me what TIPS stands for, I never figured it out.)  Be
sure to get the right "Ultimate" shop.  Ray used to own the Ultimate Motor
Works.  He sold it because he planned to move out of the area.  He
ended up staying and opened the new shop.  I'm not 100% sure of the
name, but it starts with "Ray's Ultimate...".  Your friend's daughter can
find it in a San Jose / Santa Clara phone book.

For an exhaust, a factory replacement would be best.  They aren't too
expensive, they're well made, they fit and they last a long time.  Virtually
all of the aftermarket exhausts have at least one drawback that your
friend's daughter probably doesn't need to deal with:  noise, poor quality,
reduced flow at low RPMs, rust easily, etc.  There are situations when
an aftermarket exhaust would be a good idea, but not for a student on a
budget.

Finally, have your friend's daughter check out the Golden Gate Chapter
while she's out here.

Web site:  www.ggc-bmw-cca.org
Hotline:  (925) 556-4442

There are certainly a few members out here who could help her maintain
and enjoy her car.

Scott Miller
GGC BMW CCA #44977