<e36>Front brake rotors

Hi all, Today I have my 95 318is in for some tune up things.  I just got a
call about my front brakes.  The dealer has told me that the front pads are
worn out (sensor nearly ready to start sensing).  That is to be expected.
BUT my question is he said that the front rotors are worn out also.  He
said that the rotors can not be turned to flat.  Is that true?  I thought
all rotors could be turned in a brake job.  Any enlightenment would be
appreciated.

Thanks

Dean
95 318is