RE: 1994 530 block OK?

Ralph:

The <E34> 530i and 540i both have the Nikasil block which is susceptible to
damage from sulfur in US fuels.

Engine serial numbers will tell you if the car has an original or newer
(Alusil) block.

BMW provides a 6 year, 100K warranty on these engines, and free testing of
the block if the owner is concerned and/or if the idle is rough (an
indicator of problems).

Go to this web site http://frontpage.bestweb.net/~bretta/BMW.html and click
on the link about V8 engines for more information on the blocks and serial
number info.

If it's an original block and you're buying it from the dealer, I would
demand the M60 engine test (checks for the sulfur damage) as a prerequisite
for the purchase, and insist they include the leak down portion of the
test.  The leak-down test is part three of the three part engine test -
getting it depends on the results from parts one & two of the test.  You
should try to ensure they do the leak-down portion regardless of the
results of the other two tests so that you have a baseline for the engine.)
 Up to 15% leak-down on any of the cylinders is passing, over 15% on any
cylinder is a failure and you get a new short block, including crank,
pistons, seals, etc.  I know a person who had the test at the dealer as a
part of the sales process and got a new block as a result.

Email me privately if you'd to go into this in more detail.  I think it's a
great car to drive - lots more pep than the somewhat anemic 525i, and lots
less $$ than the 540 (for those of us on a budget of sorts).  If you
purchase a the 530iT you'd be welcome to join a 530i mailing list a few of
us have formed to go on ad nauseum about our wonderful cars!

Dana
'95 530ia
Sharked!
BMWCCA