My 535i is Feeling Better!

I fixed the start-won't-run problem in the time it takes to pour a single
malt (er, sorry, open a Rolling Rock), thanks to simple but profoundly
helpful assistance from the digest.  One of the small vacuum hoses had
blown off (the <CLUNK> I heard, evidently) and was lodged out of sight.
After receiving responses informing me of how sensitive this machine is to
proper air flow sensing, I quickly surveyed all air connections and found
the source of my problems.  My recent vehicles (Jeep Wrangler, Porsche 914)
were not in the least sensitive to missing ducts, hoses, etc., so now I
better understand this more sophisticated beast.

Thanks to Rob, Larry, Trevor, and Dan (I think).  It's gratifying to
receive knowledgeable suggestions, then go fix the car with little time or
effort.

o/______\o    AxMan
(oo_OO_oo)   '88 535i
[]o----o[]   115K miles, soon-to-be-sharked