<WOB>REPLY-Maxima vs. BMW?

Then Mark said:
> I absolutely agree with this sentiment.  Having a separate power
> switch for the cruise control is asinine.
> However, I'll add that BMW makes this mistake, too.  My parent's '95
> 740i has a cruise control power switch on the dash as well as the
> steering-wheel mounted controls.

Cars vary.  My Miata has the dash-mounted arming switch with the other
controls on the stalk.  You're correct - it isn't convenient at all.
Our '98 528i has all the controls on the wheel; no stalk control at
all.  But our '95 Maxima had all the controls on the wheel, just like
the Bimmer.  Both are/were very convenient.

BTW, in answering the original question re: what is the next-best
sedan to BMW, I either read or presumed that money definitely WAS an
object, and that the car should be new - perhaps a bad assumption -
therefore the Maxima.  While I very much like the Max, it was in no
way up to the standards of build quality, amenities, luxury, safety
provisions, and quiet ride of the much-costlier Bimmer.

Having said all that nice stuff, I'm probably going to invite some
flames with the following.  I autocross my modified Miata, though my
times are not at all impressive - my fault, not the car's.  I used to
think it would be fun to autocross the Maxima just once for fun.  I
wouldn't even consider running the big Bimmer in a trial autocross,
though.  As great as it is as a luxury car, it just feels too heavy to
haul it's way around an autocross circuit - it doesn't feel tossable,
and I wouldn't expect it to be.  But the Max kinda was tossable, even
with FWD.  I hasten to say that I have the utmost respect for BMW M3's
and other 3-series BMW's as autocrossers and wheel-to-wheel racers -
they're different critters, I suspect, though I've never driven one.
They have an enviable record.  I've never seen a Z3 run in any
autocross I've driven in, though, whether the Florida SCCA
Championship event at Disney in 1997, or monthly Martin-Marietta
Sports Car Club runs.  I've always wondered where the Z3's are, since
other BMW's are out there competing and doing well.  No flames,
please.  JMHO, and just wondering.

- --
Bill Gusky
http://www.totcon.com/users/moments