Re: Gremlins in the Gas Tank

No stranger to gas (gauge) problems, Duane advises:

>Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 12:10:15 -0400
>From: Duane <drcollie@domain.elided>
>Subject: Gremlins in the Gas Tank
>
>>Hi all, this weekend I had a problem with my 95 318is gas gauge.  I
>>was very low on fuel so I stopped and filled up.  When I got back to
>>the car and left the needle did not move from the spot it was in when I
>>started to fill.
>>
>>Dean,
>
>Betch ya left your key in the ignition when you filled up, yes? For some
>reason, this throws all BMW's into a funk when you do this.  Makes the
>gas gauge get whacky for a couple of days. John Firestone can
>probably explain the dynamics of it...I just know that both my 535i and
>M3 did it.
>
>Duane Collie

Actually, I think it is just an E36 problem, or maybe also some of the other
later cars.  I've never experienced this in any E30, E28 535i, early E24 or
2002.  But, then again, sometimes I think the whole rest of the BMW
world is driving an E36 except me, so "all BMW's" is probably close to
correct.

Scott Miller
GGC BMW CCA #44977
1990 325i/is hybrid