Introducing myself, some (E24 M30) questions

    This is my first posting to this list, and as I have only been
lurking for about a week, I do not yet have the "feel" for the list most
of you have, but I am grateful for the excellent "signal to noise" (i.e.
mostly good on-topic info, little off-topic banter, etc..).  I am a
mechanical design engineer working aerospace, studio equipment and
semiconductor fab toolingas an intependant consulting engineer in
southern california, with most work being in thermal control and machine
design; my "work" related web site is http://www.cadtools.com , my
personal web site is http://home.earthlink.net/~cadtools/ .  I am a
registered PE with around 20 years of experience, so I have a bit of
understanding of mechanical things, but I know enough to know when I
don't know enough (did that make sense?), and with a completely
developed, complex mass production vehicle (like a BMW 635Csi..  were
you wondering when I would get around to that??) , the final design
approach/solution to a function can sometimes be non-obvious. So, I will
outline my car situation and question.

    I recently (last week) bought an '87 635Csi.  Due to the relatively
low mileage (102K) and real good running condition (verified by a
"safety inspection" which included compression check and all over
mechanical and electrical function/condition check) and a Real Clean
interior, I figured $8500 was a safe price.  Now on to the little
problems, my approach to resolving them, and my 2 Big Question(s)

   Problems being fixed by dealer this week (Assael BMW, 1 mile from my
home):
        Upper radiator hose looks flakey, right motor mount, leaky trans
cooler & power steering lines,  broken exhaust system bracket.  No big
deal..

    2 Problems I am still thinking about, Questions for the list:

    1. The Air Conditioning seems to have lost its R12 for some reason.
Research shows that an R132a (? I think thats the "new freon" number)
conversion requires a new compressor and other various associated
stuff.  Is this a good way to go?  Is it a job that the dealer or the
aftermarket does better?  Am I looking at around $1000 for the job?

    2. The suspension bushings are shot, and the shocks, while
controlling wallow oscillations, could be better.  The aftermarket seems
to have really addressed this problem area, but I would rather have a
ride that is near stock as opposed to the buckboard ride that non-stock
suspension mods sometimes generates.   My Big Question on the suspension
really has two parts:
            a. Should I have the dealer replace the bushings with OEM
BMW parts, or should I go aftermarket?  If I do go aftermarket, what is
a good aftermarket source??  I have ordered the catalog from the new
england outfit whose name escapes me (their 800 number ends with
2002...)
            b. What shocks will work well, giving a good balance of road
feel/control without a buckboard ride?

    Auxiliary question: What is a good shop in the Pasadena, California
area for the suspension work?  Due to my proximity to a seemingly good
dealer (Assael motors, Monrovia, Ca.) I will be getting most of the
stuff I do not do myself done at the dealer, unless/until they screw
up..  If I go aftyermarket on the suspension, a "non-factory" shop will
end up doing the work.

    OBTW, my main transportation is a motorcycle ('88 BMW K100RS), so
the car is a rainy day/formal business/ weekend trip with the wife car
(kids are grown and out of the house), so the car will not be a daily
driver.  My freeway driving is usually a cruise at 80 or so, with in
town being reguar speed limit +5 sorta stuff.

    Scott Lee
    Duarte, Ca.