Re: 323is Seat replacement

> I've
> contemplated trading up to a 99 323, with the tilt wheel it should be
> more comfortable, but until a two door coupe is offered I can't seriously
> consider this, plus I'm not sure I like the new 3 as much.

The "tilt" wheel in a BMW is not really a wheel that tilts.  A more accurate
description is a telescoping column.  It will move forward or backward from
the driver, but not up and down.  It sounded as if you needed one to tilt up
and down.

> So my question
> is, has anyone replaced their manual seats with power seats? The BMW
> power seats have a "true" height adjustment, not a "tilt". Is this
> feasible? and what would I be looking at as far as cost?

I think I've said before that the average person would be better off trading
cars.  Unless BMW changed things for '98 which I doubt, your car is not wired
for power seats.  BMW also does not offer the wiring harness as a separate
piece.  The only way that I know of to get this harness is have a recycler
strip it out of a wrecked car for you.  Then, you still have to figure out
how to install it or pay someone else to do it for you.  Also, the seats are
not cheap.  A complete, non sport, power seat in black vinyl costs around
$1500 each to give you an idea.

- --
Jason Lile                               Administrator
Parts Manager                            BMW Parts Digest
Zionsville Autosport
http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com