Strange idle

I have a '92 325is, 5 speed with 35,000 miles.  Recently, as I drive and
come to a stop, and the engine RPM's come down, instead of the engine
coming to an idle, it will rev up about 1000 RPM, down and up again, and
then finally come to an idle.  It usually occurs when the car hasn't
reached full operating temperature, but I am always careful to warm up the
car before I drive and it hasn't been cold at all yet.  Does anyone have
any ideas as to what this might be?  Or is there a way I can read out any
fault codes on my own?

Regards,
Eugene Ing
BMWCCA - NY Chapter