Re: Removing Lug Nuts

Subject: removing lug nuts.

> Greg Miranda said:
> I'm having problems with removing the lug nuts on my 325es. I
> need to remove the wheels to check the rotors, but the lug nuts
> are really tight.  I even tried standing on the wrench, but it
> doesn't work. I recently changed my tires and I know the shop
> used an air wrench to tighten the lugs. How am I to remove the
> wheels in case of a flat ? Is there a trick to do it, or do I
> need a different wrench? Is it possible to tell the people at
> the shop not to tighten the lugs too tight???
>
> ANY advice would be appreciated,

Greg, the procedure is as follows:
  * Take into hand the small lug wrench that came with your car.
  * Lay that wrench briskly up alongside the head of the mechanic
    that used an air impact wrench on your car.
  * When he comes around, tell him NEVER to use an impact wrench on
    any fastener on your car again.

Seriously, I never permit use of an air impact wrench, both to prevent
inability to remove fasteners, and to prevent overtorquing and
breaking of studs.

To resolve your present problem, I'd suggest you acquire a four-way
metric lug wrench.  With this and leather gloves you stand a fair
chance of breaking the lugs loose.  If that doesn't work, consider
using a floor jack under the end of the wrench, if you can do so
without damaging the car - BUT BE CAREFUL, since there are huge forces
involved.

Good luck.

- --
Bill Gusky