Re: E46 modifications...

"John Schneider" <jfs007@domain.elided> asks:

>I was recently told that recent models with ASC Traction Control cannot be
>fitted with stress bars and aftermarket sway bars.  If this is true, and I
>really hope it is not, can somebody explain to me why?  Also, I have noticed

Uh, John - I think you were told wrong.  There are no issues with fitting
aftermarket sway bars to recent models with ASC+T.  On the E36, there are
issues with some of the strut tower bars interfering with the throttle
controller for the ASC+T system. If you look in a line directly from one
strut tower to the other, the throttle controller sticks up right smack in
the way.  There are aftermarket bars designed to avoid this - they either
have slightly offset mounting brackets, or have a bend to go around the
throttle controller.  This issue is purely one of physical clearance - the
strut tower bar has absolutely no effect on the way that ASC+T works.

>that many of the performance chips are not available for BMWs after the '95
>model year... why is this and can we expect ECU enhancement for these models
>in the future?

After the 95 model year, BMW (along with everyone else) went to the OBD-II
system, which was much more complex (and much harder to crack) than the
OBD-I that was in use before.  However, people like JimC and Dinan have
cracked the OBD-II system, and offer performance upgrades for certain 96+
models.  So, chips should be readily available until cars come out with
OBD-III...

Hope this helps,

Jim Ochi
jochi@domain.elided