RE: What to buy E28: 86 535i or 88 535is?

I just picked up an 86 535i (5spd) and last month helped a friend find a 88
535isA. My comments:

Price:
86: $4k w/ 115k mi
88: $5.4k w/ 72k mi

Both are a delight, though the 88 is tighter and more rattle-free. I like
the "is" seats but hate the auto transmission. Personally, the is looks and
feels sportier but the 86 is slightly classier and nearly as comfy on long
trips. Both are pretty bulltproof, though I understand the auto will likely
go out around 125k mi. The 88 is already clunking on hi rev shifts.

Getting hard to find an is w/ a 5spd and when you do, you end up paying
quite a bit more. Both cars above were in real nice shape (a few door dings
and the hood on the 86 was oxidized, the is seats needed dye and
restoration), pulled real well, and were a relative bargain for what you
get.

Other than the seats, exterior trim, and suspension, I understand both are
identical. We both lucked out! If I had my druthers, I'd probably keep the
86 due to the 5 speed and the price I paid. Both are drivers and may see
the rare drivers school.

- -Dave Green