re: timing change (change it now!!!!!!)

Hi Chuck and Chris,

Chuck, if you'll re-read Chris' original post, his M50-engined car has a
*timing chain* (like your E34), not a *belt* (like your E30).  Timing
chains last a long time -- generally the life of the engine/car, and
generally don't require replacing (I say generally because there are bound
to be exceptional cases, like S14's, that don't necessarily comply).  So,
Chris, no need to worry that your timing chain will fail any time soon.

Of course, I'm sure somebody will write me to say that I'm killing people
by saying this, and that even timing chains need to be replaced regularly.
To them, I say that this advice is worth exactly what you paid me for it.

- -Jefrem Iwaniw, jiwaniw@domain.elided, '72 2002, '94 525i
 Keller, TX