Re: bmw-digest V9 #181

>Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 15:07:54 -0700 (PDT)
>From: <rkoo@domain.elided>
>Subject: <MISC> Stereo "CODE"
>
>Hi There-
>
>Another potentially goofy question, but here goes:
>
>I bought my '88 M5 with the stereo giving the "CODE" salutation (battery
>had been disconnected, previous owner apparently not musically inclined).
>I managed to retrieve the proper code for this specific unit from a local
>dealer. So I stick the key in the ignition, turn it to the first (also
>tried second) position, and punch in the code. Stereo beeps quite loudly,
>but gives no other response. I call the dealer and a service tech tells me
>that I have to leave the key in the second position for an hour and
>fifteen minutes before punching in the code. Is this for real? Evidence of
>collusion between Blaupunkt and battery manufacturers?!!!

A similar thing happened to me and my E36 M3 when I had some repairs done.
For some reason the dealer disconnected the battery, so I had a stereo
that read "code."  I didn't know what to do, so I pushed random buttons
(dumb move).

I took it back to the dealer.  He gave me the code, but told me that because
I had messed up on my attempt (I think you get two), I would have to keep
the key in the ignition for 1 hour.  You get (I think) two attempts before
you're locked out and have to keep the key in . . .

I'm guessing that the previous owner tried to enter the code a couple of
times and messed up . . . and never got around to keeping the key in the
second position for an hour.

Sam
97 M3

>I also thought the stereo locked out for a while if you dialed up an
>incorrect code several times. Will someone please enlighten me as to the
>working characteristics of the CODE feature and the proper procedure (or
>confirm the wacky sounding one given by the dealer) for unlocking?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Rick
>'88 M5, sans tunes

End of bmw-digest V9 #183