Re: bmw-digest V9 #181

> Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 13:29:24 PDT
> From: "Mike Moore" <mmoore84@domain.elided>
> Subject: <E30> How to Fix Steering Rack Fluid Leak
>
> Hey all...
>
> The dealer wants $900 to fix a power steering fluid leak coming from the
> right side of the steering rack.  The proposed fix is a replacement of
> the rack.
>
> I want to believe that there is a way to replace the seals for a
> reasonable cost.
>
> Does anyone have any experience replacing the seals in the rack or know
> if this is feasible?
>
> Any suggestions / experiences would be appreciated!
>
> Thanks...

Mike,

You should eventually replace the rack yourself.  You can purchase a rebuilt
Mavel rack for a little over $300.00 (with returned core).    I think that you
can purchase a rebuilt ZF rack for about $375.  The Mavel has a lifetime
warranty, I don't know about the ZF

In the mean time, get yourself a can of seal swell for automatic transmissions
(there are several manufacturers,  I use K&W Products seal swell) and see if
that stops the leak for a while.   If it does stop the leak, this will buy you
a few months.  And give you time to decide if you want to replace the  rack
yourself, or pay a tech to do it.  $900 seems expensive, $600 would seem more
in line, but I guess it depends on where you live.

- -Kurt

P.S. You can rebuild it yourself for much cheaper, but then you get no
warranty.