<MISC> Stereo "CODE"

Hi There-

Another potentially goofy question, but here goes:

I bought my '88 M5 with the stereo giving the "CODE" salutation (battery
had been disconnected, previous owner apparently not musically inclined).
I managed to retrieve the proper code for this specific unit from a local
dealer. So I stick the key in the ignition, turn it to the first (also
tried second) position, and punch in the code. Stereo beeps quite loudly,
but gives no other response. I call the dealer and a service tech tells me
that I have to leave the key in the second position for an hour and
fifteen minutes before punching in the code. Is this for real? Evidence of
collusion between Blaupunkt and battery manufacturers?!!!

I also thought the stereo locked out for a while if you dialed up an
incorrect code several times. Will someone please enlighten me as to the
working characteristics of the CODE feature and the proper procedure (or
confirm the wacky sounding one given by the dealer) for unlocking?

Thanks!

Rick
'88 M5, sans tunes