<MISC> Stereo "CODE"

In BMW Digest v09.n181 Rick <rkoo@domain.elided> wrote:

> I bought my '88 M5 with the stereo giving the "CODE" salutation
> ... a service tech tells me that I have to leave the key in the second
> position for an hour and fifteen minutes before punching in the code.
> Is this for real?

You have to wait, and the wait is long.  The key needs to be in the
ACCESSORY position, which is either the first or second position,
depending on how you count them.  The positions are:

  Off (lock)
  Accessory (radio)
  Ignition
  Start

As far as the radio can tell, the accessory and ignition positions
of the switch are the same.  For the purpose of clearing the radio
code, there is no need to power the ignition circuits.

Curt Ingraham
'72 2002tii
Oakland, California