Re: Alarm transmitter replacement

Andrew Goldberg <avg@domain.elided> said:
>I tried an Alpine dealer, who checked with his
>distributor and said they would not do the job -- I
>am not sure if their transmitters to not work with
>BMW alarms or they are supposed to let BMW dealers
>rip off BMW customers.

BMW is good about ensuring the quality of your experience with their
products by eliminating the possibility of substituting potentially
inferior third-party replacement parts -- even when the 'third-party'
is the OEM of BMW-labeled component. This is particularly true with
alarms, stereos, and mobile phones which have a huge aftermarket
industry.

Sadly, your options for BMW alarms stay stuck in the technology of the
year your car was built. Your pre-'96 BMW alarm system easily foiled
by thieves with code catcher radios? Tough luck Charlie. That's
corrected in the '98 model alarm that only works in '98 and later
models BMWs.

Your choice, replace your BMW with a newer model OR replace your alarm
with an aftermarket unit [insert list of dire warnings and veiled
threats of warranty violation and massive electrical system damage
from use of non-BMW accessories here].

Derek (92 525i E34, Atlanta GA)